The Gabriel Dumont Institute
Timelines & Knowledge Mobilization
- Community consultation
- Gathering, cataloguing, digitizing and transcribing of current recordings
- Inputting of data into ToolBox will begin.
- Inputting data into ToolBox and preliminary morphological analysis
- Conducting fieldwork to investigate morphological creativity and productivity with a variety of speakers in Manitoba and Saskatchewan
- Creation of pilot dictionary for community approval
- Morphological analysis
- Development of full on-line dictionary
- Creation of pedagogical materials for Michif word-building.
Within the Michif community
This project will result in three major resources for the Michif community. Each of these resources will be the first of their kind, and should prove of enormous benefit to the Michif community:
- the creation of a centralized repository of translated texts in Michif orthography with English translation
- the creation of an on-line dictionary (which may also be printed if the community so desires) of the Michif language
- pedagogical tool on word-building processes in Michif for teachers and learners of the language.
With the permission of the consultants, the collected texts will also be published in Michif orthography, with phonetic transcription, phonetic and underlying phonological forms, interlinear glosses and free translation, and be linked to the original sound files.
Within the linguistic community
Theoretical and methodological results will be communicated through traditional scholarly conferences and journals, as well as supplement phonological work from Rosen's thesis for a book in preparation, A Phonological and Morphological Grammar of Michif.